Comparison: ParcelVault vs. Smart Locks for Preventing Package Theft
When it comes to preventing package theft from porch pirates, two popular options are ParcelVault and a smart lock. Let's compare the features of each to help you decide which one is right for you.
With ParcelVault, you can simply open the exterior door, place your package inside, and close the door, and the package will fall safely inside the building. The attachment between ParcelVault's interior and exterior doors creates a seal that prevents the interior door from being opened as long as the exterior door is lowered, making it impossible for thieves or troublemakers to gain unwanted entry. In fact, even if someone tries to climb through the unit, their own weight is used against them to hold the interior door shut. ParcelVault features a sleek design that looks great and can accept a wide variety of items, including small cards, envelopes, and boxes up to 30" x 23" which is large enough to fit 95% of all packages. Even an 8’ fishing pole can fit through. The weight limit is 50 lbs, making it suitable for most deliveries. Here are some key features of ParcelVault:
- Allows packages to be delivered directly into your home without giving anybody direct access to the inside of your home
- Can store packages up to 30" x 23" inches
- Has a lockable mechanism to prevent theft
- Works for 95% of packages
- Includes a security lock that can be engaged to prevent the outer door from opening
- Has space to fit a motion sensor inside the unit that can send an alert whenever it’s opened
- Starts at $699
Smart locks offer a different approach to preventing package theft. Smart locks like August, Bosma, Eufy, Kwikset, Wyze, Yale or Schlage can allow you to remotely lock and unlock your door, and give temporary access codes to trusted friends or delivery people. Here are some key features of smart locks:
- Remotely lock and unlock your door
- Give temporary access codes to delivery people
- Delivery people enter your home and place package inside your house
- Prices vary depending on brand and features
ParcelVault provides a physical delivery solution for packages and has a lockable mechanism to prevent theft. It allows your packages to be delivered directly inside your home without needing to provide anyone direct access to your house. Prices start at $699.
Smart locks offer the ability to remotely lock and unlock your door, and give temporary access codes to delivery people. Delivery people then enter your home and place packages inside your home.
Ultimately, the choice between the ParcelVault and a smart lock will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you are comfortable having delivery people access your home and want a less expensive solution then a smart lock might make sense. Otherwise, ParcelVault is a better solution.